Shiver's BBQ, Homestead, Florida

I love BBQ. All kinds. Dry rub from Memphis, wet in Kansas City, smoked in Austin, tangy in the Carolinas…I’m an enthusiastic connoisseur. BBQ gets me excited. I love when the distinctive scent of hickory blasts my olfactoy as I  enter an establishment. My mouth begins to water, my tummy rumbles, and my willpower fades into thin air like the thick smoke from the roof vents.
 
This Is Shiver’s
I always get that excited feeling when I pull into the parking lot of Shiver’s BBQ in Homestead, Florida. Shiver’s is an institution, and can boast that they’ve been serving customers for over 50 years. Best of all, it’s consistently good. Their baby back ribs always fall off the bone. Their brisket is always fall-apart tender. And the collard greens are the best. Period.

A Diverse Menu
Chicken, ribs, pork, catfish, brisket, prime rib, burgers…all cooked over a hickory fire - and served up with your choice of two sides. And there are lots of sides to choose from. Those famous collards, sweet potato fries, black eyed peas, mashed potatoes, hush puppies (the really cripsy old fashioned kind), garlic toast, green beans, corn or sweet potato souffle. What more could a girl ask for?

Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth
It will be hard to save room after all that succulence, but try, because the desserts are actually worth the calories. My boys (6 & 12) love the fried cheesecake. I’m partial to peach cobbler, pumpkin cobbler (in season), and the strawberry shortcake.

Next time you’re traveling through South Florida, perhaps on your way to the beautiful Florida Keys, stop in to Shiver’s on US1 and SW 280th Street. You can’t miss it, it looks like an old cabin home with a little neon in the window. Owners Perry and Martha will probably be there to say hello.

image

No comments:

Post a Comment